What is the best way to show your partner that you love them? The answer depends on your partner’s love language; i.e., the way your partner wants to receive love.
The 5 Love Languages explains that we have preferences in the way we desire love. The author, Gary Chapman, describes five different ways people receive love. They are:
- Words of Affirmation – Hearing the unsolicited words, “I love you.”
- Quality Time – Having full and undivided attention without distractions.
- Receiving Gifts – Not the materialistic aspect, but the thoughtfulness and effort that it takes.
- Acts of Service – Taking on a responsibility to ease the burden.
- Physical Touch – Affection, hugs, holding hands, sex.
If you and/or your partner don’t know each other’s preferred love language, we highly recommend you go to www.5LoveLanguages.com and take the quiz.
With the results in hand, it will be less of a mystery to plan a fabulous Valentine’s celebration with your partner. Here are some ideas to speak your partner’s love language on Valentine’s Day:
- Words of Affirmation
- Write your partner a love letter. Tell him/her what you appreciate, share a favorite memory, write the things you are grateful for.
- Create a calendar with pictures of the two of you and a love note for each month.
- Make a personalized poster of all the things you love doing together; or a collage of pictures and frame it.
- Quality Time
- Have a romantic dinner together, at home or at a restaurant.
- Go on a day trip or weekend.
- Meet with a travel agent and plan a trip together.
- Create a bucket list of ideas for dates or places you want to visit together, and schedule them.
- Sign up for a dance class or a cooking class together.
- Receiving Gifts
- Think about what your partner would like: jewelry, flowers, chocolate, a day at the spa, perfume; or maybe a trip to the mall together so he/she can pick something out for herself.
- Acts of Service
- Give your partner a coupon book with chores that you could do for her or a day(s) off from her routine.
- Hire a personal chef to create your favorite meal for the two of you, or even for the family once a month.
- Physical Touch
- Arrange for joint massages at a spa.
- Give each other massages with oil at home.
- Take a hot shower or bath together and have a romantic sexy evening.
- Have sex but try something new. Change the location, get a new sex toy, or some new lingerie.
- Arrange for a night in a hotel or an Air BnB or a Bed & Breakfast.
We’d love to hear your thoughts about sustaining love for a lifetime on our Facebook page.
Image Copyright Kati Molin